Facebook. We all love Facebook. My Facebook page now is a little matted with a lot of useless stuff, but there are some really fun things that pass through the pages. Recently, there was a darling article from a cute lady named Sophie Callahan, who is a photographer and a horse lover. She grew up around horses, like myself, and had this to say:
1. They teach responsibility. (You always have to take care of your horse).
2. They improve self-esteem. Any type of pet boosts self esteem, as it is an animal that you love and it offers unconditional love right back
3. They build your immune system. I know that I am hardly sick, and I am sure that it has to do with all of those lovely germs that we have around here every day. You do build up an immunity, eventually.
4. Horses teach the value of money. Those kids who have to help with the expenses of their horses grow up to be the best with their money. At least the students that I had did.
5. Horses instill patience. If you weren't a humble person before, then you will become one. Horses teach humility, patience, compassion, trust....the list goes on and on.
6. Horses are great at keeping secrets. Have a bad day? Talk to your horse. Groom your horse. Have a therapy session with your horse. By the time you leave the barn, you will feel so much better.
7. Horse teach focus and ambition. Nothing makes you raise the bar then wanting to become a better rider. A better person. It is a win/win situation.
8. They come with a built in social-life. Nothing is better than coming out and hanging out with your horsey friends. I still love it....even after 55 years.
9. Horses provide great exercise. We have proof! We have gotten our heart rates to over 150BPM!
10. They will keep your kids out of trouble. They will keep you out of trouble. If this is not the best reason out of all 10, then I don't know what else will convince you.
So, I have made my case. What are you waiting for? And, when your child goes off to college, steal her horse and enjoy the trails. It will be the most fun you will have in your life. But, I will wait until next month about my blog about the middle-aged rider. Have a good one!